I've only shot 4 elk, 3 bulls and a cow, 2 with the 300 Win Mag and 180 NPT's and 2 with the 35 Whelen and 225 gr NPT's all under 200 yds. I could have used a 30-06 with blue boxed Fed 180's bought on sale at Walmart for all the difference it would have made. For a new guy at elk hunting I think you are over thinking this a little. AS others have pointed out You should not be thinking of taking a 500 yd shot period, it's usually windy in elk country. Last fall Walmart was running 180gr blue box stuff out at $11.97/ a box. Could have bought a 10 box case, sighted the rifle in at 200 yds checked the zero at 300 & 400,burned 4-5 boxes on a dog town, and used the rest on elk and deer for a couple of years. That's probably a hell of a lot more ammo prep than 90% of what the others hunting elk do. KISS principle and yeah I think you need a simpler scope too. Good boots +10, Physical conditioning for rough terrain and high altitude + 100. Best of luck and most important of all enjoy the experience for what is. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "