I've hunted "in shape" and "fat and out of shape" (my current condition). Walking a half mile to a ground blind in Middle Tennessee and sitting on your ass all morning is a better experience while "in shape". Much less walking up the side of some Godforsaken mountain after paying big money to do so.

I've never even hunted out west, but I've spent some days walking a lot through rough enough country in TN that I know the difference in my own physical conditioning.

To me, being "in shape" means my hunting clothes (and the rest of them) fit properly, I can actually breathe while bending over to tie my boots, I don't fret my pack nearly as much, feel as though I can mover around easier, and just more comfortable in general (ever see a really fat guy that looked like he moved well? Even in a pair of shorts and a T shirt?).

End result is, I'm more confident, mentally tougher, and am in more of a state of having my sh*t together when I'm in shape.

Right now, I need to lose 20 lbs. Or stick to that ground blind next year. Wonder if the deer would notice my truck parked next to it?