My hunting buddy and I used to walk about 35 miles during 5-6 day elk hunt, without much success. We killed elk, just not as many as later when we got older and in worse physical shape - and slowed down. Most of my kills in recent years have come when I was hunting alone. While I spend a lot of time at the range working up hunting loads, the rifle and load I use on any particular hunt are determined more by fun factor than ballistics. I've hunted elk with a .44 Mag revolver, .44 Mag carbine, .257 Roberts, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .30-30, multiple .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, .375 Win and .45-70. Only one shot taken last 411 yards and most of the rifles I've used are good to go at 411.

We hunt on foot and a primary consideration is the pack-out - we won't go further than we're comfortable getting an elk out. We have a cart but still often have to pack the meat out on our backs much of the way. I tell everyone that will listen that the fun stops when you pull the trigger. While that isn't strictly true, it is when the hard work starts. Hiking in and out with only your rifle and pack is the easy part.

Hunting buddy is diabetic and would never carry enough water or food in an attempt to lighten his pack. By day's end he was often drinking my water and eating my food. Twice he had to be sent home, once for hospitalization. Another time he was hallucinating when we got back to camp. Yet another he was puking due to over exertion when trying to cart his deer out by himself. I'm pretty convinced altitude played a part in some of those incidents.

I know there will come a time when I have to give up elk hunting altogether - hopefully at least 10 years down the road. That decision won't be at all impacted by my rifle load.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.