I grew up/worked in the oilfields of SE, Tx. My first hunting out West was bowhunting in the Uncompahgre Plateau area. Not too bad, camp on top and hunt the drainages. We killed mule deer/cow elk, had a ball. In '82 I went with two Texaco co men to hunt the Holy Cross/White river Mnts (Minturn, CO) during late October, rifle season. It kicked my 29yr old, 70 feet above sea level nubile body, ha! My legs turned to rubber and my heart was beating somewhere up between my ears! My knees turned to fire coming down! I learned real quick that kind of country was not for me! I hear of folks out here even, in Utah, who die every season, trying to hunt where they just can't. I just turn my focus on places/ranches/times of the year when/where I "can" hunt. Even now as a soft, overweight, bolted together "Senior"...there are places I can get to. what I "will not do" and what I see every year, is some old phart who insists he 'can" do it, go with his younger son/relatives and ends up screwing "their" hunt up when he gets sick/hurt/lost/or dies from a heart attack. Selfishness and hubris gone amuck.! Simple fact is...as in all walks/endeavors of the short, short Life...some CAN, some CAN'T.
"A man should know his limitations"...lol