Hesp, you mentioned high altitude in your post and there is really not a lot of prep a guy can do that doesn't live at elevation to prepare for it. I work every day at 8200ish feet and I run with my cross country team most of the time and i can tell you that when you get above treeline it still hurts a bit for me and I have been at 8200 feet for 22 years. Folks that don't prepare aerobically or don't lift will struggle mightily. Altitude sickness is also an issue if you come from near sea level. If the elk are up and you get sick you have to go down and or suffer the consequences which could include death. My nephew and his buds are coming to Colorado to hunt and he asked what he should do to prepare. Three things in this order was my reply: get in the best aerobic shape of your life (of the three this will be the trip breaker for him if I had to pick) and start year in advance, buy the best hunting/hiking boots you can afford and break them in really well, best glass you can afford (scope, binoculars, and spotter.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!