It ain't easy hunting elk at 9500 feet, after a 3 mile hike in from 7500, coming from 50' home elevation, at age 70. And after 8 years hunting off a 4 wheeler or snow machine at virtual sea level. I was only 5 lbs overweight, had done some leg-conditioning hiking prior, but no "getting in shape" workout. That was me in October. I didn't even bother getting a tag or packing a rifle. (Delayed too long for the left-over, and had broken extractor, actually - not that a single-shot or another rifle won't work).

Even harder for a mid -30's "kid" , 30 lbs overweight, virtually no exercise, living in mile-high Denver.. That was my son, whom I accompanied/"guided".

Never saw a cow, for which he had a tag. Smelled them, heard them, saw their tracks.... I did jump a fair bull out of his bed, while out "scouting" while the kid rested his blistered feet.

I warned him..... I'm guessing he's all done elk hunting, but we'll see. I, personally, have plans...that was a "scouting trip" - $1K worth in airfare, room rental etc. Next year might be about the same- I'll skip room rental, tho, and backpack in and camp if I go back up there. Good area (thick and steep!), plenty elk, virtually no hunters (there's a reason why!!!).

Might get lucky with a draw tag for the "easy" areas around my brother's place, though, in which case....ANOTHER F'G SCOUTING TRIP!

I do know where that old horse trail up last year's mountain is now (I killed a cow up there 10 years ago, on a day hunt from the cabin at trailhead, where we stayed again this year ) and about where I'll camp (screw that daily hike in, tho a nice warm cabin with shower is down-right decadent!). I might even go in a week early, camp at the creek where I leave the trail for a few days, hand clear the trail, (wilderness area), then pack my camp up. And maybe water.

Still working on water supply thoughts if no snow or rain up there, tho. Wasn't much this year.

If one is going "sport hunting", might as well make it interesting.... be a damned nice camping trip anyway. smile. .

My wife is a hiking fanatic. Maybe I'll take her along and see if that will cure her affliction. She can carry the rifle, but I'll keep the cartridges. I tend to piss her off on these things.

Last edited by las; 01/22/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.