I don't go (hiking or on machine, if alone). that I can't hike out of. About 10-15 miles, depending. Now. I used to be dumber.... younger.... more fit... But I would do it again if I could.

I don't kill stuff I don't have a plan and surity to get out. (It ain't the "hunting" - it's the "getting chit out" that determines the parameters)

I'm not as tough (tho I'd like to be) as that 73 year old Eskimo guy I picked up a couple years back, 8 miles down the beach from town. His ATV had bogged down 40 miles out of Kotzebue 2 days before. He drank all my water, passed on the candy bars.

I'm just a few (many?) steps slower than I was at 35.... 35 years ago - and I was in great shape then.

That doesn't mean I'm any smarter.... smile. Slower hunting, not necessarily easier.

My mind lately ain't confabbing with the body. I listen to the body. Mostly.

I can kill with anything, regardless of caliber, that I am competent with, within reason.

My son, overweight, and 5K higher than me, was less able than I, not just to this, but as said, mentally. I KNOW I can hack that Co elk hunt, if somewhat slower than I was 30 years ago. Or 10 years ago, when I did take an elk there. He was worried about me getting altitude sickness which is not in my vocab! Tho I will fold like a house of cards if I experience it... smile

Old age and treachery..... smile

I suspect he doesn't have the mental attitude for another elk hunt, but we will see. And he better get in better physical condition if he does. Or find easier hunting.

Last edited by las; 01/29/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.