Couple these faults with “over analyzing” several scenarios (too much internet hunting) and trying to be prepared for each on a single hunt. I knew a hunter, that was out of shape, with a somewhat heavy rifle, on his first self-guided elk hunt. He purchased the latest “Wiz-bang Super Rifle”, then proceeded to developed several different loads and bullets for different hunting scenarios. He would bring this multitude of cartridges on his hunt... on his person. He would then load the cartridge, that was best suited for the shot. I tried, desperately, to use logic on his proposed methods....unsuccessfully! He managed to find elk, and promptly “screwed-up” what should have been an easy kill. Several ridges, and many shots, later, another hunter watched this debacle, and finished off the wounded elk. Extremely embarrassed and disillusioned with elk hunting......to my knowledge, this was his last elk hunt! There are many ways to ruin a hunt....this may have been the most outrageous, I’ve witnessed! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/24/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024