Originally Posted by SBTCO
Here is some data/education from the CDC:

Crude death rates 1900-1999. Read the graph.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm4829.pdf
Death rates from childhood diseases dropped off dramatically before vaccines were developed, mostly due to better hygiene, sanitation and healthier diet.

Again, from the CDC ie. history of measles and vaccines.
https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/history.html

"In the 9th century, a Persian doctor published one of the first written accounts of measles disease.

Francis Home, a Scottish physician, demonstrated in 1757 that measles is caused by an infectious agent in the blood of patients.

In 1912, measles became a nationally notifiable disease in the United States, requiring U.S. healthcare providers and laboratories to report all diagnosed cases. In the first decade of reporting, an average of 6,000 measles-related deaths were reported each year.

In the decade before 1963 when a vaccine became available, nearly all children got measles by the time they were 15 years of age. It is estimated 3 to 4 million people in the United States were infected each year. Also each year, among reported cases, an estimated 400 to 500 people died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 1,000 suffered encephalitis (swelling of the brain) from measles."

How many killed in car crashes each year nationally during that same decade? Not trying to diminish any deaths regardless of cause but things need to be kept in context.

The american medical industry now kills far more people each year according to this study by Johns Hopkins https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/new...w_third_leading_cause_of_death_in_the_us
which corroborates several other independent studies done previously.

You beat to it SBTCO. Good post.
I'm at work so its hard to post everything with getting interrupted.

As a proponent of individual freedom, I also believe in individual responsibility.

The concept of “herd immunity” is important in public health.

When the percentage of immunized individuals in a population drops to a critically low number, the propensity for a serious disease outbreaks goes way up.

So what do you do. There has to be a balance.

DF

DF,

If child is vaccinated for measles, chicken pox, ect. but my children are not and they come to school with the measles, the vaccine protects the other children from being infected, correct. And since that has to be the case or the vaccine program is faulty, then why would anyone be worried if my children have the measles?
And just so you know, I used this very argument with the Schools Attorney's. My children never got vaccinated and not one of my 7 ever contracted any of the diseases the other children did even though the others were vaccinated against those diseases.
I know adults who have gotten measles, ect. and they were vaccinated to prevent that from happening. This can go on for ever. Then you have the flu shots and all those who still get the flu. The argument to be shot up with who knows what is not very sound especially when you really look at the history of vaccines and diseases.
My individual responsibility is very sound, but I'm not to sure about those who follow the herd.