Speaking of ™affordable bank-vault reliable commercial Mausers," I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the Serbian Zastava Mauser rifles.

Back in 2012, K-VAR Corp., an outfit in Las Vegas, NV was able to order a shipment of left-handed (!) Zastava controlled feed Mausers in a variety of calibers that sold out quickly. It turns out that the Serbs don't like the US very much for reasons based on then recent history, and were reluctant to fill orders, but that one got through, for some reason, and folks on the Campfire and on Accurate Reloading quickly placed signed up.

Frankly, the wood stocks were not anything to write home about since in some ungodly European design and undefined species of tree, but the Mauser actions were forged steel built on original Mauser machinery! laugh

I got one in 9.3x62 and the price was only $600. I think that I was one of fairly few who ordered that caliber. Mine is called a Model M-70 Hunting Carbine [Lovacki Karabin] Z98 LH bolt mauser. Its serial number is only 11,xxx, which suggests a relatively low production amount.

I haven't had reason to shoot it yet, since I have several other rifles in various calibers that equal its performance, but I'm going to load it up soon to see what it can do. After all, while I am getting a bit long in the tooth to see Alaska or Western Canada again, or climbing up steep hills, living in New Mexico today places me in a great area to put it to use. wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).