Originally Posted by xausa
Back in the early 2000's, I made contact with a German gunsmith in the city of Freiburg, which I was quite familiar with, having attended the university there. He came highly recommended, and I was expecting great things from our relationship. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way, and after exchange after exchange of emails, I decided to meet him in person on one of my periodic visits to Germany.

He was very apologetic about having disappointed me with reference to the various projects I had charged him with, and finally we agreed to part amicably. As I was leaving his shop, I noticed a bedraggled looking Mauser he had in his rack. He showed it to me and said that it was an original Mauser sporter in 9.3X62, which he had acquired for a song from one of his customers. He offered to give it to me to make up for the disappointment I had experienced in his response to my projects. I told him that I couldn't accept under those terms, but if he would tell me what he had in it, I would be glad to pay him that price. He admitted that he had only paid 500 Euros for it. I paid him his price and gave directions to send it to his successor in Suhl.

His successor proved to be a totally different kind of person to deal with and when he received the rifle, he immediately went to work on it. The photos show the result of his efforts. It is a standard Oberndorf Type B Sporter, with a half round, half octagon barrel. He added the scope, a modern Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6X, to the pre-existing claw mount bases. It is one of the prides of my gun room.

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

Just in case anyone missed it...that is what a hunting rifle is supposed to look like.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.