Conversing about Bill Wilson's (wilson combat) favorite rifle, a ruger 77 in 9.3x62, I recieved a reply from a feller up in the northwest arctic.

Please excuse the english and grammar. Having lived in the Northwest Arctic, yah dont need good grammar up there:

Rom:
"Guiding in the arctic preserve 1 mile from the Red dog mine for Moose with a stupid client that was told don't bring a deer gun 30-06 which he did bring then shot a Hugh Yukon moose with 69 inch spread horns, this moose fell over only stunned because the 180 grain Nosler 30 cal partition bullet only traveled 4 inches into the moose never even coming close to any vital organs . I walked up to the Bull Moose that looked dead but then it got up charged me at 20 feet, I raised the CZ 550 in 9.3x62 from the hip with no time at all I was hit in the face with the horn as I jabbed the CZ 550 9.3x62 rifle barrel into the moose brisket and FIRED ! The old Moose died instantly falling dead on top of me injuring my leg that folded behind my back . It took 45 minuets to get the moose off of me as I was pinned from the waist down under the moose. At that time my 9.3x62 CZ 550 was loaded with commercial Norma 232 grain Vulcan bullets. We found this Norma bullet under the skin in the hind quarter expanded to 50 caliber . The bullet had traveled from Brisket to hind quarter stopping under the skin leaving a 2 inch bulge. After that hunt again the 9.3x62 Mauser saved my life and clients life's against wounded Brown bears . I have a love affair with Big large bore rifles but that 9.3x62 Mauser I can't explain why it is so affective in killing really bad angry animals ! ??? I want to warn anyone going Moose hunting in Alaska, these moose are horrible for looking dead until you walk up to them, then all hell comes to you in 1500 pound of angry moose, over and over I have see moose that looked dead get back up then come at us . When a moose is down and you feel something is right shoot the freaking moose again !! I had a client turn [bleep] on me because I insisted he shoot his bull moose again because I could see it breathing, so I shot it with the 338 win mag then it got back up charged us then took the clients 300 win mag 2 more bullets to drop this moose, it freaking terrorize us for that fast moment ."

My appologies to the 180 grain nosler partition fanatics, that it only penetrated 4 inches before turning to a fragmented pancake