Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by 79S
Ol joe want legendary bear guide used a double rifle down on kodiak when guiding clients. Here we are worried about 5 in the mag, here is a novel idea learn to shoot better, and make the first shot count. Pass me a model 70 classic in a 30/06 with either 180 partition or 200gr partition for kodiak i will use a model 70 stainless classic in a 375 H&H.

Your thinking is generally sound but there are some festivals where six rounds of .375 level power are handy, such as an aggressive sow brown bear with older cubs that decide to follow momma’s aggression. Six rounds are also nice when four deer come in to the call at once, or you meet a family of river otters.

So you are saying you can get 5-6 rounds off accurately at a charging brown bear? With cubs?

Each situation is different, but yeah, as needed I can and have put multiple rounds on charging brown bears. I've not yet fought one with the 9.3x62, but have used the H&H with 300gr Noslers alot. In my experience you shoot the middle of the brown blur coming at you with something big enough to make a difference. They don't like that. I always expect one to keep coming after they take a hit, and though it's happened to a couple guys I know, mine have always gone ass over elbows and then tried to run off. That's when I find it a good idea to keep shooting, alot, to prevent tracking. The exception is a sow with big cubs, in which case you should get the first bear incapacitated or dissuaded and then be ready to deal with the others. In these scenarios I find one can empty a bolt action rifle quite quickly. One time when a medium boar came at me I centered him at 12 yards. He fell down and tried to run off, whereupon I raked him with the remaining two rounds. He was still kind of ambulatory at that point so the quickest thing to do was throw another round in without pushing it into the magazine (thank you Model 70 classic stainless for your beveled extractor design!), slam the bolt closed, and shoot him again before he got out of sight, then reload.

So anyway, when I say I like more rounds available it's based on some experiences........

You'll like that 640 as a 9.3x62, I'm sure.