This is not a new subject although it is usually associated with what caliber & particular bullet is best for the job. My issue or curiosity is with the constant mention and therefore assumption that DRT is the main goal in taking big game, but lets just stick with deer. I have been a deer hunter for 46 years, both gun and bow. I have not killed a lot of deer but I have taken enough to have an educated opinion & a good idea of deer anatomy.
A CNS hit is pretty much a guaranteed DRT. But that is a small target & for the average hunter not preferred.
I hunt a small piece of private property and I prefer my deer do not cross the property lines after I shoot one but if I aim for the typical behind the shoulder, double lung shot I expect to have to track that deer. I have had many fall within sight after a good hit here, both gun & bow but only one that actually fell right there & that was with an arrow, go figure.
One of the most spectacular DRT's was with the 150 gn from a 30-30, broadside, tight to the shoulder @ 30 yards. The deer jumped almost straight up, landed on its side, made another 30 foot leap and crashed to the ground closer to me than when I shot. I could find no blood or even the entry & exit wound without careful examination.
I guess my point here is that unless you are willing to pass on anything less than a perfect shot opportunity your chances of "DRT" are unlikely. I have shot enough deer with enough different caliber/bullet combinations & arrows to know that although most die quickly they are likely to run & all deer are different.
The attached pic is graphic but should not be to anyone on here. This was from an average size doe taken with a .58 cal. MZ round ball at about 45 yds. A little hard to see in the pic but the heart was severely damaged and the ball also struck both lungs and the edge of the liver before it exited. The deer still ran close to 50 yards before falling. I would call this pretty good performance for any bullet and an almost ideal hit.
Am I being to critical or reading to much into it but I think DRT while really awesome is over rated and un-realistic for the average deer hunter ?
[Linked Image]