For DRT shots,I like to shoot tight against the shoulder,just a tad above the mid point of the body.I have found it will deliver shock to the spine and sometimes it will also rupture the large thoracic artery that lies just below the spine.This gives you a double whammy and will drop them on the spot with shock to the CNS and extreme loss of BP.One thing I also noticed,though it is not necessary because the deer is down on the spot,I get a large amount of blood and organ material spray from where the animal stood,to 20-30ft beyond the exit side of the deer.Don't know,maybe it's because it's right below the bony spine,the energy wants to rise and really cannot,so it really blows the damaged organ material out the exit hole. I've shot deer just a little lower and it kills too,but they will usually run.I think what happens is when the bullet enters the chest cavity,the shock not only spreads,but it also tends to want to rise. I think the lungs being spongy, absorb the shock and it doesn't really get to the spine.I've had them run a 100yds and not leave a noticeable blood sign and I don't like that.Shot position of the animal is important too.Broadside is good,but angle shots are the ones you need to think about.Not only do you aim for the entrance,but plan your exit too.For me,quartering away is much more preferred an quartering towards me. These pictures show where I like to shoot them.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by baldhunter; 03/26/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............