Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
For those of you that want DRT results, why hasn't anyone mentioned head shots? Yes it's a smaller target, but if you hit em in the head, I will bet nearly everything I have they will DRT. Opening day of doe season, we have a contest to see who can hit closest to the eye. Makes a mess, but, DRT and no meat loss.

Szchit nevers go wrong – until it does.
I've had to burn a buck tag twice in my life (on deer I wouldn't normally shoot) because some yahoo-never-misses sniper shot the jaw off a deer.

Given Murphy's propensity, and the fact that I'm not at war with the animals, head shots are a hard pass for me.

Ditto....seen that myself. I avoid head shots like the plague unless it's all I have, I have a solid rest and everything "feels" right.

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Exactly !

+1

& I always figured, blood trailing was one of the most exciting & important skills of hunting !

smile

YMMV

I can see the allure to DRT in many circumstances, but to be honest, blood trailing and especially the anticipation of whether or not the critter is dead around the next tree is one of my favorite parts of hunting. I really enjoy following a good blood trail on an animal I know was hit well, though they're usually very short trails when the shot was where it was supposed to be.