I think it's overrated myself. I like a right behind the shoulder double lung shot.

Every deer I've shot, with the exception of one, that was shot right behind the should and double lunged ran like a bat for about 35-40 yards and collapsed. If you are quiet you actually hear them drop as they crash though the brush. And this being, regardless of what they were hit with, shotgun slug, muzzle loader bullet, rifle bullet or arrow. Right behind the shoulder breaking a rib going in and going out at most makes for no wasted meat also.

The one exception was a buck I doubled lunged with an arrow at 10 yards. The arrow went right through him, and he did an about face like he got stuck in the ass with a thorn and it surprised him. After a second or 2 he attempted to sneak away and took 3 steps and fell over right in front of me.

The other thing that is nice about them running that short distance before dropping is that they bleed out thoroughly which makes for a much less messy butcher job. My son hit one a little to far back years ago with an arrow and we recovered it the following morning. It didn't bleed out and when butchering the quarters on the counter I spent more time wiping up blood than cutting steaks.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people