Originally Posted by RIO7
Killed more than my share of deer,and I'm big fan of dead right there, not dead right over there, deer are not hard to kill if you don't have a kill shot don't shoot. Rio7

Overrated may not have been the best word to use here and many good points were made by all. RIO7 does as well but should we define DRT as a "kill shot"? It is up to all of us to define what is and isn't an ethical kill shot. If you are able to hit the CNS every time and choose to pass on any other shot then I am all for it. How & where you hunt as pointed out here is also a factor. Still hunting thick cedar swamp etc. usually only provides one shot opportunity and the behind the shoulder aiming point allows the most room for error. Are there any bow hunters that only take DRT certain shots?

I would not tell a first time young hunter that they should only take a DRT shot, I have taught & shown them where and how to aim to produce "dead right over there" every time & how to find their deer. The (heart/lung shot) provides the biggest target while still making a quick clean kill. Vic's photo shows that, DROT & DRT are both very much acceptable.