Fellow fire keepers,

I have the opportunity to hunt a 100+ acer parcel in the restricted rifle zone here in MI. This area is typically known for outstanding bucks. Without going through all the case length crap it has to be a straight wall case, so I'm leaning toward the .44 mag. I am typically an old school guy so I don't want to go the AR or handgun route. I'm leaning toward the Ruger .44 carbine or a Marlin, My eyes aren't what they used to be and cant shoot the iron sights out to 100yds like I used to. I would like to have at least a good fixed 4 power.

Im looking at a few Ruger autos and levers, but have heard that the levers do not cycle reliably and that the newer Deerfield autos will not cycle unless you are feeding very hot loads. I would really like to find a Marlin 336 in .44 with the short tube. I see one on gunsinternational but the discerption does not match the pics. I'm not sure they even made one in .44, I would go with an old school Marlin 94 if the price was right.

SO the topics out there are...

The old out of production Winchester Timber was always a favorite but I think it was only chambered in .450 mag which does not qualify. did they make it in .44??

Reliability of the Ruger .model 44, model 86 lever action and the Ruger Deerfield.

The advantage of 20" over the 18" barrel out to 100yds on deer.

Thanks for any input

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady