i have another wing sittingby the side of the house, it's called a "a nakkid wing". Meaning it's a 1200cc version, without all the fiberglass. It's a lot lighter and i never had trouble staying with the 1800's. Tires are a funny thing. Typically i want them replaced regularly, when you are running north of 100mph on two wheels things like that come to mine. Having said that, i put a new tire on that nakkid wing a few years ago, then immediately got a nail in it. Honda dealer wouldn't fix it. So I plugged it, five years later it is still holding air.
my 1800 needs new tires just from age and milage. When they get worn, all kinds of issues with steering.
As to the sore azz syndrom, i had a gell filled seat i put over the regular seat. I also used those hi tech stretch shorts under my riding gear, and when riding would put my position with my foot pegs. Also sometimes standing up while riding for a while. It's the poor blood circulation that gets you.
My bmw riding friend once made it from the pacific in california to the atlantic in florida in just a couple of days. He is a riding fool. But he at one time had a bmw dealership, and also did test work for bmw on their bikes.
there are only a few long distance capable touring bikes built in the world, bmw are one of them.
I use to like to dik with harley drivers, i would ride with a pack of them for a while, never any issues. After a while i would hit the afterburners on the wing, and they would disappear.
I envy that ride from florida to illinois, that is a first class memory being built.
as to flats i always kept a tire patch kit and a couple of cans of fix a flat. Taking the rear off a wing is no small deal in the middle of nowhere.
I have first class riding gear, gloves, helmets, coat, pants, etc. including a heated vest plugging into the bikes battery. I also had a full rain suit which i only used once. With the fairings and big wind shield, and at speed i could ride through rain without it bothering me.
few years ago i was at a stop sign in sun city(part of the greater phoenix valley) and an old guy on an older wing pulled up, hot chick on the back.
it was maybe midafternoon. he had left the pacific in california that morning. He said at 100k on the bike he finally took it in for a tuneup.
Riding a long ways on one of those gran touring machines is an experience most people don't ever get.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO