At the start of my KLR period, on long trips I actually used to carry a C clamp (to break the bead), a pair of them 10” tire irons, and a tube. Filled up half a saddlebag just with that.

Then one day I actually had a flat, and there I was with my tools, c-clamp, tire irons and tube, standing by the side of the road looking at a 450lb motorcycle with no centerstand......

Fortunately FIx-a-Flat DOES work on tubes, despite the dire So-now-you-can’t-sue-us warnings on the can.

Another flat was outside of Texarkana on my way to NY. Right before I left I had a new rear tire put on. Turns out the crackhead mechanic at the dealership (good help is prob’ly hard to find) had pinched the tube, causing it to split.

I ended up paddling all afternoon along the access road in the direction of the dearest motorcycle shop, who weren’t going to be open until Tuesday anyway (this was Saturday).

(Fortunately the KLR is water-cooled so you CAN walk it along the side of the road for hours).

Some hours later, God sent a professional motocross rider pulling a box trailer with two bikes and his tools. He sees me, actually has to get off at the next exit and come back around.

Fifteen minutes later I was on my way, heavy duty tube installed, the guy wouldn’t accept any payment.

With tubeless tires all it would have taken is a tire plug kit, a couple of CO2 cylinders, and ten minutes

So, I’d be OK traveling along on a Honda Transalp fer example, so long as I had a professional motocross racer and his trailer following me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744