Originally Posted by deflave
I would think somebody that has logged 9 bajillion miles would know the advantages of a tube vs tubeless.

But you are pretty fugking stupid so who knows.

Dude, I've been telling you to avoid tube tires like the plague, I checked again and the TransAlp does indeed appear to have tube tires, which is a real puzzle, especially considering that the V-Strom apparently does not. And some editions of the V-Strom from photos and sale advertisements do or did come with cast wheels.

In the real world, prob'ly 90% of these "Adventure Bikes" ain't ever gonna see really gnarly off road, and its a bit of a stretch to imagine a 1,000cc anything as a "dirt bike" (I know, my good friend road an oilhead Beemer GS (1100cc ?) at the same two Nationals I rode my R100GS (1,000cc). What they are is excellent dirt road bikes, and in the Silverton/Ouray area at the '95 Nationals did get us up into a mountain pass. The very top of the pass woulda been challenging even for a Jeep though and it was just a stunt for us to negotiate that same stretch, on unloaded bikes.

The only question here was spoked vs cast wheels. I find spoked wheels to be a PITA, if only because they take longer to clean, I would guess 99.99% of Adventure Bike riders would never break a cast wheel.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744