Are there "rich" farmers, who draw a ton of money from the government every year......sure there are. But, for every one of them, there are hundreds of smaller operators working their azz off to make ends meet.......and these are the farmers that put the majority of the food on the table for the people in this country.

I live in a county that has a number of these large farmers, who farm thousands of acres, and are on the USDA list of those who draw a lot of money in the form of subsidies. But, what most people don't realize about these farmers, and in a sense they are not farmers but businessmen, is that they could have easily gone broke and lost millions instead of staying in business and becoming wealthy. They took a risk and succeeded, something that many others could not do.

The US government has long had a policy of making sure that this country has a cheap and plentiful supply of food. If they are going to regulate the farmer, and if you own a farm or are a farmer, then you must deal with the USDA, you know what I'm talking about, then they must also be prepared to help the farmer out during the bad times. Most farmers here carry crop insurance, which is designed to help them in case of situations where they lost money on a crop for a variety of reasons. The government putting a tariff on Chinese goods, which results in a loss of a market for the farmers when China stops buying their crops, is as much of a disaster as is a drought or a flood. So, I have no problem with Trump helping the farmer out.