I dont know how it is in other places, but the "subsidy" we receive is in the form of Crop Insurance. An expensive "risk management" tool designed so the banks and others get their money first if there is a disaster.

Yes, there are some of these other payments like the subject of the OP. But they are few and far between....and really dont amount to much....like even covering the interest rate hike.

Crop insurance is very expensive. The farmer has to pay the premium.

If you use it, it becomes more expensive and you receive less coverage.

If you recrop it gets worse yet.

Some people may not know that you are required by most banks to carry crop insurance if you have a mortgage on your place.

You have to carry it to qualify for disaster assistance....sort of like hurricane or flood payments.

The crop insurance system is designed to make you grow what the govt wants. The chemical salesmen tailor their wares to this system...machinery dealers too.

Oh, and dont forget the banks.

The system works really well if you fallow your land too. In other words, only produce half your acres per year.

Its interesting, but the "subsidy" actually is a great big barrier to farm profitability. Some are forced to take it, others do it for the risk management.

You grow what the govt wants if you take their money. You will just barely break even. Your money will flow into the hands of others. You will farm for production, not profit.

Food and commodities are strategic.

Piss on em. The more you accept this "help" the more you end up relying on the bastards.

I began my outlaw farmer journey four or five years ago after attending a conference with Gabe Brown.

I am MAGA.