I'm more optimistic than not.

The defense against mass shooters is an armed, law abiding populace. I suppose it is possible that eventually more people will come to this same conclusion. As I have often pointed out, here in Utah our public schools are pretty secure, partly because faculty and staff with concealed carry permits are authorized to carry at school. Try shooting up one of our schools, and you're likely to spend the rest of your life bleeding out in the hallway.

Yes, the NRA is in disarray. Worry not, gentle reader. It is not so much the NRA that politicians fear. It's the millions of us that support our rights. The NRA is just our mouthpiece. The power is in us, not the organization. We can make a new organization rather quickly, if we need to.

When a watershed decision like Heller or McDonald comes down, it takes decades for the legal landscape to be reshaped. Cases from insubordinate lower courts are just making their way to the Supreme Court. I look for major gains and a few losses over the next 20 years. I'm guessing that AR bans, California's approved firearm list, and magazine capacity bans are all temporary, as well as schemes that simultaneously ban open carry and severely restrict concealed carry.

Last edited by denton; 08/04/19.

Be not weary in well doing.