Originally Posted by Filaman
A few years back, like maybe 8 or so I thought I was going on an elk hunt. The guys on the forum (Not this forum) kept telling everyone that for elk you need a 7 mag minimum and that a .300 or .338 mag would be so much better. So I never having shot an elk bought a 7mag off a Gun Broker auction for $205 with the intent of having it re-barreled to .308 Norma. Then a guy I knew said he had a .300 Weatherby he'd sell me. So I bought it for $1000. It's a Lazer Mark and a damn nice gun (which I still have). But I ended up leaving the 7 Rem. Mag as a 7 MM Remington Mag (and still have it)and Then I didn't go on the elk hunt. Now that I have two magnum rifles, I get on here with some very experienced elk hunters and I find very few here use magnums and most use everything from a 7-08, 7x57, to a .270 and .30-06. I have a 7x57, a .270 Win. and a .30-06, so I guess if I get the opportunity I'll have plenty of choices. And I shoot my .270 so well, I've had it for 53 years and killed a slew of deer and hogs with it, that I'm thinking from what I read here that I'll load me up some 140 or 150 grain NP over some RL 22 and go kill an elk.

Yeah, it’s a generally fickle bunch on Internet forums when it comes to rifles. Or scopes. LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.