Brad, I apologize about fielding the question meant for Dirtfarmer.

Off the top of my head, I can recall killing elk with: 8mm Rem, 375 H&H, 300 win, 338 win, 54 cal muzzleloader. And one cow, many years ago, with a .270. All elk shot at, ended up dead, without any cripples or lost game....."knock on wood". Some, with the 300 have taken more than one shot, as I keep shooting until they hit the ground. I can't remember any elk staying on its feet when hit with the bigger bore cartridges. A couple with the 54 stayed upright after the shot, but where down by the time I got it reloaded.....one cow took 2 shots, with it. I don't recall any of the first shots, that weren't fatal....but elk are tough, and crippled elk seldom head for your rig, to die! wink

It's a pretty even split, I would guess, between the 300 win and 375 H&H, for total count. The 300 gets the nod when hunting more open country, where I can pick my shot, usually draw hunts. The 375 is used when expected ranges are less than 300 yards.....usually OTC hunts, in the thicker stuff.....where I CAN'T pick my shots.

But, if I had to pick one......I have a stainless Ruger 338 win, with iron sights, and a 2.5x8 leupold with B&C reticle with QR rings, shooting 225 grain accubonds. The iron sights are set for 300 grain woodleighs, 1" high at 50 yards. That gun pretty much covers everything in North America, and perhaps the world.....I just hope my 375 doesn't hear that!

I once read that, "a 338 kills elk, like an 06 kills deer". I find that hard to argue with.

Have a great turkey day!

Andy3