Just to clarify "my" definition of marginal. Any load that will not completely penetrate on a broadside shot "most of the time". To me, smaller calibers require that I wait for a shot presentation that I am comfortable with, meaning in my mind I am 80% sure I will get the results I'm after. I pass a lot of shots, or course, I think we all do. IOW, I won't take a hard angling shot that I am not 80% sure of with even a heavy rifle and not at all with a smaller round. Just me. I like to shoot heavy animals with heavy/hard hitting rounds; I just like that "OMG I've been shot"! look on their face! smile

But, I know several guys who kill their elk every year with .243, 6mm Rem, one 240W, far more with .270/30-06/7mm Rem Mag than 300s-375s. I know only two fellows that use a 25-06. Never ran into anyone over here with a 257 Roberts. If good bullets/good shooting is done, I can't honestly say anyone is wrong. Nowadays, the most "unethical" thing I see is NOT using a smaller round, but shooting at a longer range than they have practiced for. I am worthless judging the wind past "hold on the windward edge of the kill area", so LR is much shorter for me than most. I guess that's why I am more comfortable in the edges or timber. Rare to get broadside, but I do get them! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/02/19.