Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by beretzs
Well said George. I was a young reader of Hagel and still believe what he wrote was great for the times, because as you mentioned, bullets weren’t as great.

Today, I still use boomers and 6.5/270/280 all together but it’s more about want than need.

It’s kinda funny though but out to 400-500 pretty much all of the “normal” cartridges look more like a 270/30-06 than different. Plus or Minus a few FPS whistle

I still remember Hagel writing about using the 378 Wea on an Idaho moose; the 270 and the 340 Wea’s also.
And Ross Siefried writing about his Champlin 340 Wea in Guns ‘n Ammo. Boddington wrote about using the 340 with 250-gr RN’s (a peculiar choice of bullet) at 400 yds on an BC (?) moose.

I’ve had most of the cartridges from the 270’s to the 458 Lott and barring extremes at each end of the spectrum, one learns a whole bunch of them are more alike than different when used with good bullets placed in the pump room.

I still remember Seyfrieds 300 and 338 RUMs, before they were RUMs. I still love the boomers and use them but I know the danged bullet matters more than sheer HP.

Semper Fi