Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With big bulls and expensive hunts, I want all the margin I can pull together.

DF

I don't necessarily object to your opinion, I'd just like to know on what experience that opinion was formed.

Hello Brad. Here's a brief history of my elk hunting experience. I'm 58 years old and have been hunting bull and cow elk since 1982, when I moved to New Mexico from North Carolina, at age 21. I am a self taught elk hunter, and the first couple elk hunts came up with no tags punched, but it was a learning process that I wasn't going to give up on.

I was hunting 4th season rifle tags (because the odds were much better than 1st rifle tags, so I could hunt every year). I learned to hunt bedded bulls, in black timber, on north facing slopes....on small benches. The first 4 bulls I killed were between 16 and 32 yards......with a 375 H&H. Still my favorite black timber elk rifle.

I killed quite a few elk in NM, but mostly rag horns and a few cows, because I was young and hungry (literally), working construction. I always killed the first legal animal I saw. But, I learned to kill high pressured elk.

Some years later, I heard that Idaho had OTC rifle tags, that opened September 15th, for 2 months! I sold out, and moved to Boise without any leads on work or a place to live. I did this so I could hunt elk every year, if I didn't draw. NM was 100% draw OR buying land owner tags....not an option for a blue collar guy.

I killed a 5x5 that first year in Idaho, on Sept 16th 1995. After that, I was lucky enough to draw some very good bull tags, so I could finally start holding out for larger bulls....and I did. My favorite Idaho draw hunt lasted 16 days, and I shot the 47th branched antlered bull that was in rifle range. I turned down more 6x6 bulls, on that hunt, more than I had seen in my entire elk hunting career!

It's been that way, every year since. And yes, I killed a 6x6 this year, with a muzzleloader on an either sex hunt....had a slim chance at the biggest bull of my life, but he made it to private land, 200 yards ahead of me.

The Wyoming hunt was something I always wanted to do, hunting the wilderness area, on the east side of Yellowstone, near Cody. I had max points and wanted one of the best hunts in the state. Being in the wilderness area, and me being a non resident, I hired the best outfitter I could find. And he made it everything I could ask for in a guided hunt, with me killing the biggest bull of my life. My first guided elk hunt was the perfect retirement present to myself.....and I don't see me doing it again. Perfect.

So Brad, this is what I base my elk hunting opinions on. At nearly 59, I'm still learning, as I tend to hunt different units each year. I know there are better elk hunters than me and more dedicated ones too......a couple are my best friends. But, I take pride in hunting alone, figuring out new country, and getting elk killed. I've been pretty successful doing it.

Andy3