Andy3,

I was not referring to any particular "write up," because I have read several--and also stood in the very spot where Craig shot from, maybe 2-3 years later, with the guy who was with him at the time, now-retired Whittington Center director Mike Ballew. Mike also pointed out where the bull was standing, and described Craig's surprise when it dropped so quickly.

Having some experience in the same business as Craig, I am not surprised he hasn't "jumped on the .270 wagon," because real hunting-gun journalists (as opposed to those who made up their minds years ago), need to keep experiencing, experimenting and reporting. I was pointing out that Craig has learned from his experiences--and reported on that experience honestly, along with his daughter's use of the 7mm-08. Whether he jumped on any wagon is beside the point.

In fact, I was in the process of deciding on what to write for my monthly column for the Campfire. One of the ideas involved how being a gunwriter can result in actually learning something, if you haven't already made up your mind. Your comments helped make up my mind to write on exactly that subject.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck