Originally Posted by edapp
I think the biggest reason it might be a gateway drug is because it is lumped in with drugs much more severe.

Kids hear it in the same sentence with heroin and meth. DONT DO IT! IT WILL KILL YOU! Then they smoke pot for the first time and realize it is less intoxicating than alcohol.... they probably assume people were exaggerating about the hard drugs as well.

Thank you edapp. That's right, kids believe the BS they hear from the government about how bad pot is, then they smoke pot, they realize they have been lied to, and next you know they are on the oxycontin or heroin. NEVER lie to a kid they will never trust you again.

As for talk of pot causing violence, no, it is the opposite. I smoked pot for ten years. Yes, started at age 19 and smoked till age 29 or so.
And in that time, I got a 4 year college degree, lettered 3 years in soccer, worked construction full time in summer to pay for school, and spent three years after graduation working construction full time.
I would smoke a joint some times at the end of the day, maybe three times a week. Pot never made me violent, nor did it make my buddies violent. Made me want to lay around and listen to music and eat ice cream. Also, some girls I knew liked to smoke pot, it made for some fun in the bedroom I can assure you of that.