Originally Posted by Toddly
It’s definitely not your grandfathers weed. As mentioned the THC levels have gone up through the years. 10-12% was the average in the 70’s, now it’s pushing 35% THC. We consistently grow 27% THC weed but THC level is not really the marker people use to measure the strength. The turpene profile is what is mainly used to distinguish what medical use each strain is best for. As a non smoker I took a hit of some of the stuff we grow, and I was paralyzed for about an hour. I’d rather have a drink. But to daily smokers it’s just “normal”. I don’t think I’d want someone driving on it, but it can’t be worse than driving drunk.

The terpene profile is a marketing technique. Based on the same concept as aromatic oils. There is no need to run clinical trials when the "medical" uses are defined in that manner. Having it "approved by the FDA" for such and such is a whole different matter. THC content and chemical analytical analysis in general took great strides from the 70s and "wet" chemistry techniques.
the THC grown in the 70s can be ever bit as strong, I did graduate work in a Pharmacognosy Lab. , when 50% of all medicines were plant extracts.

Medical use and indications will be determined by the THC, and its isomers (such as Marinol). Terpenes are oils, and THC is an alcohol. Terpenes can cause lipoid pneumonia, THC is not without its "side-effect" profile either. Which can include neuropsychiatric,hemodynamic,seizure,paradoxical nausea etc.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old