ZT 0562.

I've been a fan of traditional knives for decades and have carried a traditional slip-joint or lock-back daily since I was a youngster. I have amassed a sizable collection over the years, which include several modern designs as well, such as Chris Reeve, Al Mar, Spyderco, etc. and although these modern knives are all well-executed, I always found myself going back to my traditional knives.

I resisted getting a ZT for quite some time as I'm very anti "tacit-cool;" however, after a few close calls, I decided to purchase the Elmax Rick Hinderer ZT 0562 - mainly for defensive purposes. Although a substantial knife, it disappears when clipped in my right front jeans pocket. In fact, I find it more comfortable to carry than my smaller traditional knives and I quickly grew to appreciate the design elements, including the blade shape and grind, the titanium frame shape, the clip design and the ability to deploy in an instant. The knife is extremely well made and utilizes premium materials.

I also strongly dislike recurve blades and knives without steel or titanium liners, which are not design features of the 0562. Danged if my ZT 0562 Elmax hasn't become my EDC knife, which I use several times each day for a multitude of tasks and it's never failed to perform. If fact, I have grown to like my ZT so much, I am considering another 0562 in either S35VN or CPM 20CV. I've also been eye-ballin' the 0850.

If I had any complaints it would be that the extremely hard, tough, Elmax steel takes a serious commitment in time to properly sharpen, but once sharpened, it stays sharp for a long, long time. Since I sharpen my knives by hand, on natural Arkansas stones, my initial sharpening after the factory edge needed a touch-up took many, many hours over a few of days to establish the proper bevel. At some point, I'm going to invest in a set of Venev diamond-bonded stones, which will make the sharpening process a whole lot quicker.

ZT - highly recommended and I certainly like the fact that they're USA made.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/22/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue