Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never found a 4 MOA gun, I'm jealous. Had a pistol that came close once, sorry I sold it.

Shaman, what made you put glass on a 4 MOA rifle?

Oh! That's easy. My eyes are bad. I was probably okay shooting irons back then, but a scope made things easier. The first scope I had on the REM 742, the one it came with was a 1.5-4.5X30 Bushnell Banner. I still have it, but I mounted on a Ruger 10/22 30 some years ago. The second scope was a $29 Simmons 3-9X30 that I moved to my Savage 99 for over a decade. Both the Rem 742 and the Savage 99 had Weaver Swivel Mounts so that I could go to the irons if necessary. I was never a big fan of see-thru mounts.

When I started to get more into this whole accuracy thing from reading 24hourcampfire.com, I realized the Swivel Mounts might not be such a hot idea. I swapped out the swivel mounts and the Simmons scope on the Savage 99 just a few years ago. With a Leupold STD mount and an $80 Bushnell scope, that Savage 99 that never was much to speak of accuracy wise suddenly perked up. It's now down to 1-2 MOA range. Whodathunk?

To answer in a more general sense: if you have a 4 MOA rifle, you do everything you can to appear to be on top of things. You need plausible deniability. Your friends are going to rag on you if you miss the big one and you are just shooting over irons. If you have an honest 4 MOA deer rifle, you mount a 30mm scope. If you have a 6-8 MOA rifle, you mount a 40 or 50 mm scope and you get something that you can crank down to 20X so everything looks really, really blurry. That way, when your friends look through it, they see nothing, and they think you're a god for being able to hit anything. When you go hunting, you crank it to 3X so you can actually see.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Amazon is a great place to find scopes for a 4 MOA deer rifle. You want to get one made with a deceitively familiar name. Borris, Lerpold, Bushnelli, and Nickor are ideal for this kind of situation.

Last edited by shaman; 08/25/19.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer