Originally Posted by jwall
[
When your scope reticle, red dot, whatever - COVERS your aiming point you have NO idea where the CENTER of your scope is
WHEN the shot goes off.

Shaman ? ?

I know you are not a novice.

Long ago I figured out that a 'black background' target with a black crosshair wasn't good for specific aiming >> for me.
Different people with different eyes should experiment with different COLORS and SIZES for their target (aiming point).
All don't have the same eye quality. All don't see colors the same as others.
eg. I have a slight color phase blindness. I bought and painted walls with a TAN paint. However IN the house with less than BRIGHT light, the walls have a PASTEL green hue - TO ME.

I like/use 4plex type scope crosshairs and whatever target I use --- I AIM at 6 O'clock. The target is ABOVE my crosshair and I know
WHEN the shot goes off IF I'm off, L, R, H, or Lo.

Jerry

I completely agree with you. I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me to get it down to its maximum accuracy, but remember, this is going to be fired offhand out of a treestand or stalking in the cedars-- both of which mean I'm going to have 80 yard visibility maximum. This is good enough to go deer hunting. 4 MOA is going to be more than enough for now. This is my first rifle with a red dot on it. Were I going for maximum accuracy, I'd have stuck a standard crosshair scope on it. O.T. always swore by his red dot scope. I feel I kind of owe it to him to give it a try. I've got targets that have a light grey for rings and black for cross-marks. Those are the ones I use when I'm really trying to produce a group. This one was an all-black target with a red 2" bull. I put it up, because it splatters and throws up yellow around where it gets hit. I just wanted a no-muss/no-fuss setup. Somebody left these at the farm a few years ago, and I found an excuse to use them. They worked: I was off the bench patting myself within 20 minutes.

I already see something in this exercise: O.T. was one the local dead-eye dicks-- always got his deer. However, it's a 2 MOA red dot. How the #@FJ did he know how well his rifle shot? Obviously things work different here on Planet 4MOA.

I think that's the big moral of this thread: some folks go out of their way to get the most accuracy they can. Others figure out what its going to take to get the job done and work back from there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer