Had a Browning reproduction of the Model 71 Winchester that grouped three shots into 2-4 inches at 100 yards, depending on the load, and since 5-shot groups average about 1-1/2 times the diameter of 3-shot groups (even in benchrest rifles), that meant it was really a 3-6 inch rifle, even with the aperture sight. Townsend Whelen also described the Winchester 71 .348 a a 4-inch rifle, and that's about how Ken Waters 71 shot before he had it worked over by a well-known (back then) gunsmith, who also built benchrest rifles.

Eventually I did some stress-relieving on the forend stuff, and got my 71 to shoot 3-shot groups of around 2 inches with most loads, and around an inch with some. But from the factory it was about a 4-inch rifle, as many Winchester 71's also were.

My present line-up of lever rifles will all group three shots under 2" at 100 yards, even with open sights, and often do much better. The very first group I shot at 100 with my Winchester 1886 in .33 WCF measured 1.08 inches, but it has a Marble's tang sight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck