Originally Posted by Kenneth
Junior has a new project has of today,

Remington 700 heavy barrel varmint, 1-14(?)

Any known powders to start with?

I'm thinking bullet weight of 50 grains and greater.

Open to any and all suggestions, TIA.

I've had real variable luck with .22-250s. I've loaded for a few cartridges where I'd find a load that seemed to work pretty respectably in most guns. That has not been the case with .22-250, each rifle has been a law unto itself.

My first .22-250 was a heavy barreled Ruger 77 "tanger". Its load was 50 grain Hornady SXes and 40 grains of H380. I also shot it some with 41 grains of H380 under the 45 grain Hornady spire point hornet bullet. This was in the days before polymer tipped bullets.

The last one was a Remington 700 LVSF. It was a problem gun, really fussy. However, among all the things that did not work, a gem appeared: 37.5 grains of Varget (this is well over book max) and 50 grain TNT or SX bullets. With either bullet it would typically shoot 5 shot groups in the .2s. Aside from one game load which went around MOA, I never found anything else it'd shoot under 2 MOA or so. If I backed that first load down a half grain even, it'd open up to over 2 inches. Didn't blow any primers, brass life was good, so I just puckered up and shot what it wanted.

In between I had 1-2 others that never did work well. One, a 700 BDL "enhanced" (engraved) sporter, would only shoot the 35 grain VMAX with any accuracy. Out to 75 yards it'd sure make a mess of stuff but we don't usually buy .22-250s for 100 yard and under varmint guns. smile It didn't last long in my safe.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...