Tried all the loads I could find in my 700 with the 12 twist barrel and 50-55 grain bullets of several types and couldn't get better than around .7-.8" groups, which I wasn't satisfied with. Out of desperation I tried some Varget and 40 grain ballistic tips and suddenly my rifle was a tack driver... Took the load right off the label and my chrono says I was within about 10 fps of the label speed. Accuracy was in the .2-.3 range most of the time and those little bullets did an absolute explosive launch job on rock chucks and other critters out to about 500 yards or so... I put a thumbhole stock on that rifle and I found it did best with a bit of foreend pressure on the barrel- worked it up with business cards until the groups got best and stopped. In fact I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I've had those business cards under that barrel for at least 10 years because I'm afraid to do anything to change a thing on that rifle or I might lose that accuracy I finally found in that factory Varmint barrel.... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.