If the property already has a septic and well set up, or sewage and city water, what have you, how about find an older, used mobile home for minimal cash outlay, slap it on the property, then start working on your stick home, pay to pay? If you're comfortable living in a mobile home, which are generally less than 1000 square feet, then building a small home of similar proportions would cost you very little if you do the work yourself, you would be surprised.

As far as new mobile homes go, a coworker friend of mine was deeded 10 acres from his parents on their farm, and he put a brand new one in a few years back. I think the dimensions are 16x80 (or close to that), 2x6 construction, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, cathedral ceilings, and a gas log fireplace. I will be the first to admit, it's pretty nice. The place is buttoned up pretty tight, and the windows are Anderson I believe. The downside is he paid almost fifty grand for it, which to me is far too much money for something like that.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."