Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Regarding modular homes: from what I've experienced (former licensed General Contractor), modular homes don't really save you a whole lot of money over a stick-built home. That is, if you put quality molding, materials, wiring, etc. in it. You just get it built faster in a controlled environment.
Personally, I'd rather have a mobile home (trailer we call 'em here in NC) or a tiny, minimalist Katrina-cottage style home than spend the money for a modular.
Gopher, how do you envision using your home? If you're considering a trailer, I'm guessing that you are not intending to host the local medical association surgeons regularly for dinner. If you want an efficient, well-built place to live and sleep, please look into one of the many minimalist style homes that can be built. It sounds like one would be perfect for dropping in the middle of 25 acres somewhere.

You make a good point Triggernosis, but I think we're going to want something just a bit bigger. We want room for our kids to stay when they come to visit. My son and his wife have two kids, and there may be more coming. I'm thinking we'll want three bedrooms or two bedrooms and a living room adequate to sleep a couple rug rats if necessary.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla