Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If I was going to live in a mobile home, I'd look around and buy used. I'd also spend the money to have it set on a concrete block foundation and anchored to it. Then I'd have the whole thing covered with one of these carport rigs. People talk mobile homes down. But if you buy them right and set them up right they can be decent dwellings.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/arrow-carport-20-x-20-charcoal-cphc202007

I had a couple of young friends a few years ago who were scraping by living cramped up in a cheap apartment. They found a very decent mobile home for rent on a half acre lot in a fairly private area. They were happy as could be about going from an apartment to a mobile home with a yard.

First guy to figure put the solution to what every fugging
too good to live in a trailer snob says is a problem.

They lose value faster than a 40 year old stripper.

Make that your advantage.
People finance new ones they can't pay for all the time.
Pick up a 1-3 year old re-po at a huge discount.

Also, a trailer-toter made a great point one day.
"Ever see a stick built home get moved?
It takes a dam ling time and a lot of work to make it strong
enough to be moved down the road".

Give that a thought.

We lived in 23 year old trailer when we got married in '95.
5 years. It provided housing we could afford. $2500+ a few hundy to move.
$175 a month lot rent. Old, neglected, somewhat nasty, it worked fine.
But it didn't make others envious.

Good points. I had a similar start to housing. When I got out of college and started my first real job I was broke but knew I didn't want to waste money paying rent.

I found a clean but older used mobile home that someone else had already taken big depreciation on and bought it. I had sell stuff to get a down payment but otherwise had no issue getting a loan for it and a few years later it was paid off I sold it for what I had paid for it using the proceeds to buy the land my dream home was built on.

Ted