For years I used thin polypropylene sock liners under thick winter (mostly acyrlic) socks.

This year I wore merino wool TOE SOCKS (yes) as liners under thick, high dollar merino wool socks. My feet were warmer, even when I was wearing 400 gram boots (as opposed to my usual 1200gr)

I admit it, I love toe socks. They're goofy looking, may have people questioning your masculinity/sexuality grin, relatiely expensive and a giant pain in the butt to put on. But if they weren't, I wouldn't wear anything else. As it is I usually only wear them hunting, hiking or working multi day shooting matches. My feet stay dry and blister free. Now I've started wearing wool ones as liners and my feet were warm, dry and blister free. Very happy with the results this hunting season. I just need to allow for a couple more minutes in the morning to put them on. lol

I tried toe warmers a couple days last week. At first I was disappointed they weren't what I was hoping for. But they were putting out heat, so they were helping.