Originally Posted by flintlocke
Seems like this is pretty much just hot air. If I remember the Clinton impeachment fiasco, it was explained that impeachment is a three part process. Impeachment step one is the house vote, simple majority. If they vote to charge impeachment...that is just a charge (indictment). Then the charge goes to trial in the Senate. If the Senate gets a 2/3 majority for impeachment, then that is the "trial". Then, the third and separate step is voting for removal from office, again, I believe that requires 2/3 majority, That would be the sentencing phase of a criminal trial. In history, if I am correct, that has never been done at any level higher than crooked federal judges that got caught.

Andrew Johnson avoided it by one vote in the Senate. That impeachment was triggered by politics, also. The Congress passed a law of dubious Constitutionality in order to keep Johnston from removing the Secretary of War and replacing him with Johnson's choice.

Congress tends to think they're running the show all too often.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”