Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think it's been pretty well covered on the Fire, in terms of negatives, but not a bad idea to have a summary thread for those doing their research.

My thoughts are below. I realize some of it has been already covered above.

1) Corrosion issues for some with stainless, but it's not exclusive to Tikka. My stainless Kimber was just as bad.

2) The protruding magazine for some. Personally, a flush mag would be better but would probably require a double stack. I think the production singlestack functions great.

3) Although Formi has more experience with this, I still feel that the bolt stop pin is not ideal. The fact that there are failures indicates that it is not robust in design. I don't mean a big fat pin, but robust in terms of manufacturing variations, user applications, etc. Not many failures reported though, and most hunters would most likely never seen an issue.

4) Gas handling is the biggest problem with the Tikka in my view. I don't see any design features that prevent hot gas from reaching the shooter's face or eyes in the event of case failure.

Other than that, I think the Tikka has the best plastic stock and trigger in the budget rifle class. They feed really well, and I've never had a problem with extraction or ejection. Solid scope mounting as well.

J

One more...

5) COAL for L/A

J

I've had Tikkas in one form or another for over 20 years. Until very recently I've never heard of problems 2,3,4, or 5, and 1 is a real stretch since it's not just a Tikka issue. Many of my friends have owned and used them since that time and I've still never heard of such.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.