Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
How about steels that are easy to sharpen yet hold an edge a long time, with good toughness?

David

1.2562 @ 67-68HRC.

I have no experience with that steel, I was actually thinking of CPM 3V @ 60HRC.

David

3V isn't going to hold an edge to the degree of S30V but will be a tougher steel. As far as sharpening goes it has a fair amount of Vanadium so it needs the proper stones to sharpen to make it fit your criteria of ease of sharpening. I am a fan of 3V but not in a hunting/field knife. Bushcraft or fighter would better suit its use.

Going to beg to differ - I actually have a few knives in CPM 3V and have had ample opportunity to test. The CPM 3V holds an edge better than any S30V I've tried and is very easy to sharpen.

Not sure what "proper stones" you're referring to, but a fine diamond to raise a burr, followed by 600 whetstone and a 2000 whetstone work quite well. Stroping w/ a knivesplus strop w/ white conpound (forget the grit) restores the edge w/o seeing the stones if I don't let them get too dull.

CPM M4 is a close second, also reasonably easy to sharpen. Holds an edge slighly longer but is prone to micro chipping if you get into the bones of an animal when cleaning. I would take either of those two over any of the stainless steels made.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 01/08/20. Reason: typo