Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've said many times on here that I think the Smith and Wesson 686 is the best 357 Mag. ever made. I will not deviate from that. If you like the blued version, it's just as good. I think the 686 is better due to my preference overall for stainless steel, but you could say the 686/586 is the best. 681/581 versions are the same only with fixed sights. I prefer adjustable, but these are good guns too.

The only thing that makes a 627/27 a lesser gun is the size. They are a bit large for a 357. Same with the 28 which I'd rate a bit lower than the 27 due to fit and finish. The 28 was cheaper though, so there's that. Overall I think most 27's are slicker from the factory.

The next in line would have to be the Security Six by Ruger. It surprised me when they came out with the GP-100 because IMO there was no need. Nevertheless, the GP is more robust but also larger. I'd rate the GP as the next down since smaller is better when it comes to these guns unless you start getting into excessive recoil or they are simply not big enough to handle the cartridge, but the Security Six always was.

Pretty good summation. My 686 goes to the range every time I do .I probably have 30,000+ rounds thru it with out a glitch.

My Security six goes with me when I am in the saddle.

Carry is a Smith Snubby , 3" barrel with a Crimson Trace, 2nd choice is my Sig P320 If I think I will need more rounds.

My Blackhawk doesn't leave the safe much anymore

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles