Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
My first assumption in looking at the pics and videos of the wreckage and the scattered debris field, is that this was not a low speed impact. The witnesses on the ground that I saw on TV did not see the chopper (due to heavy fog) but only heard the chopper.

The wreckage was scattered over an area spanning a couple of hundred yards - that is very typical of a chopper that impacts at low speed, resulting in the rotors coming off first and then the rest of the aircraft breaking up as it gets whipped around with parts of it rolling downhill. If it impacted @184 mph (faster than the max safe speed of that helo) it would be one dark burnt spot on the side of the hill with most pieces in relatively close vicinity.

Furthermore, one witness describes seeing the helo, but barely - just a dark blob moving slowly in and out of the clouds at a speed that he estimated as around 5 mph. He said he then heard several "popping" sounds that he initially thought was someone shooting a pistol. I'll bet what he heard were the rotor blades being obliterated when the helo got to close to the hillside.

Here's the interview with the eyewitness: I believe his story.
https://youtu.be/oRAPZhqXvqY
...............................Yep. I saw that too. The NTSB final report as to all of the many variables causing this crash will be the final say so. The area of the debris field is also determined by the angle of impact. I am sure that they will use computer software technology to re-enact the accident.....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger