I have a dozen or so 1911's in various configurations from bull barreled 4", 4.25" barrels w/bushings & 5" Gov't models.

For range work & regular practice, I strongly prefer a 5", all steel gun; for carrying, I will mainly only carry a 4" or 4.25" Commander sized gun, usually with a lightweight frame, for the comfort of the shorter barrel & lighter weight, especially when sitting for long periods.

Round / bobtailed butts do seem to print just a little less than a standard grip profile does; I see no real differences in shooting them.

I use a variety of holsters, depending on what I doing & which gun I might be carrying that day.

I get a little disgusted at the lack of knowledge & experience from those that knock or condemn 1911's as being unreliable & antiquated & not deserving of carrying these days in favor of the new versions of Gluck, etc., because you can only carry 9 rounds in the gun & mag at a time (8+1).

Each & every 1911 that I own is 100% tried & proven for 100% reliability, as in ZERO malfunctions within a round count cleaning cycle that is reasonable................actually I carry all my guns clean, no matter the type. Not very interested or care much that a Gluck will run 5K rounds with no cleaning.

Daily carry is not an endurance test of how long a gun can run w/o cleaning, but yes, I'll concede that because of design & tolerances, a 1911 will not tolerate the same round count cycle as well as many of the WunderGuns do..................just a non-issue for EDC purposes, IMO.

MM

Here are a few of what I have;

Wilson X-Tac
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Colt Combat Commander

Christensen Custom with Titanium Frame

S&W with Scandium Frame

Dan Wesson 4.25" Guardian w/Brommeland Holster

Dan Wesson Guardian

Kimber TLE II (discount the target as it was shot for a particular match with weak hand & some odd body positions included grin)

S& W Gunsite PD w/ Scandium Frame