Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Thunderstrike44: What I like best about the 1911 style pistols is their "looks"!
I have owned several over the years but seldom shot themI never carried one "professionally".
I bought the ones I owned mostly for investments, and all but two have "gone on down the road".
The two I still own are both N.I.B. - a Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy and a Springfield Armory 1911 A-1.
Quick story - as a small child (age 5 or so - 1952'ish) I remember my father and his two brothers sitting around our dining room table looking at a magazine ad for Colt 1911 surplus pistols.
They were trying to get together the $23.00 (IIRC) to get one sent to them through the mail so they could resume shooting the "45"!
They were all three WW-II veterans and eventually the "beautiful" Colt arrived. Then my father and his brothers would shot it out behind our house into a giant cedar stump background and aiming at old quart oil cans filled with water - sploosh!.
I remember how loud it was and how my brothers and I would cup our hands over our ears as it was shot.
After a couple years that pistol went away somehow and I never saw it again.
I wish I had that "45" now - I bet it would be worth a "thousand dollar bill" now.
Long live the 1911.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

friend of mine's father got one of those 20dollar 1911's through the nra. It was a singer.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO